Things To Do in Massachusetts
When many people think about Massachusetts, they first think of Boston. However, the entire Commonwealth—one of the original 13 colonies of what later became the United States—is rich in history, natural resources, and opportunities for unique experiences. If you know and love all the things that make Massachusetts special, you can preserve them for future generations by attending fundraising and other volunteering events with relevant nonprofit organizations. Here are just a few things to explore in every corner of this quintessentially New England state.
Things To Do in Western Massachusetts
Western Massachusetts is a great place to get away from it all and surround yourself in natural glory. The temperate climate makes outdoor activities comfortably feasible all year round. Some things to try in this part of the state include:
- Whitewater rafting
- Cross-country skiing and snowshoeing
- Gardens and wildlife sanctuaries
- Amusement parks
- Community projects and conservation fundraising events
Things To Do in Salem Massachusetts
Salem is best known for its 1692 witch trials, but there’s far more to this picturesque town northeast of Boston, and many ways to better understand its history. Popular places and activities include:
- Historic walking tours
- City walking tours
- Ghost and haunted tours
- Nature and wildlife tours
- History museums
- Historic sites
- Community projects and fundraising events with historical societies and museums
Things To Do in Southeast Massachusetts
Southeast Massachusetts is full of quaint small towns and villages as well as the popular coastal communities of Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket. Here are just a few stellar destinations and things to do:
- Beaches and lighthouses
- Seafood dining
- Marine and maritime museums
- Fall foliage sightseeing (also known as “leaf peeping”)
- Cranberry bog tours
- Cruise and boat tours
- Plymouth Rock
- Community projects and fundraising events with museums and conservation organizations
- If you live in Massachusetts, one activity you can always do is give back to your community and help to preserve its cultural and environmental treasures by supporting local nonprofits. Volunteering is a great way to learn more about this state’s history and the causes that help to make it a just and healthy place. If you’re unsure where to start, consider attending a local nonprofit information, cleanup, or fundraising event. Some organizations, like Boston Volunteer, offer fun events of this kind in both Boston and surrounding Massachusetts communities.
Explore and Serve Massachusetts With Boston Volunteer
Boston Volunteer works to make Boston and Massachusetts cleaner, safer, and better for everyone. We organize volunteer events and fundraisers that fill various local needs, from making education more equitable to improving the health and vitality of our environment. We partner with other nonprofit organizations and mobilize volunteers to ensure that all of our fellow Bostonians have the opportunities they need to succeed.
However, we can’t do these things without you. You can get involved with us in a variety of ways, and our upcoming events are a great place to start. Join us today!